Case Study: USA based mobile commerce start up organisation
In the ever changing world of IT and Technology, Peter is someone who I can count on to help me steer technology organizations in the right direction. He’s a thoughtful and strategic partner who has creative solutions for any sort of project…specifically related to SFIA. He was great to work with and patient as I lead technology executives through the process of creating an efficient organization that was able to look at problems in a different way. I appreciate his counsel, and will definitely think of him first if the need arises againJennifer Simmons, MS, SHRM-CP
Hi-tech start up in the mobile commerce sector based in the USA.
Needed a smooth transition from start up to established organisation. Looking to continue to attract and retain market leading IT Talent and maintain high performing IT workforce.
- The organisation was moving from start up phase to established organisation.
- Needed to adopt higher maturity talent management processes (IT talent acquisition, recruitment, development, career paths) while supporting a flexible, adaptable, dynamic organization.
- Talent management approach must not be bureaucratic and must enable growth and flexibility.
- Work environment is one of rapid change, flat organisation, little routine work, virtual, collaborative and project-based.
- Work collaboratively with HR and Technology leadership team.
- Identify and adopt industry standards and good practice from IT & Talent Management fields.
- Linking Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) with Career Lattice model for career paths.
- Provide expertise, insight, examples and templates to enable rapid delivery of high quality work
- Focus on value and impact not slavishly following a methodology.
- Create stakeholder engagement pack explaining design principles, benefits of using SFIA, description of SFIA levels and SFIA generic responsibilities (Autonomy, Influence, Complexity and Business Skills)
- Build in future proofing for flexible IT organisation and IT role design based
- Providing templates, examples to support SFIA adoption, IT workforce management, modern learning approach and the 70:20:10 model.
- Creation of learning and development catalogue for IT skills and linking industry accreditation / certification to SFIA and career families.
- Support provided remotely.
Results & Benefits
- Rationalised 80+ disparate individual position descriptions into 30 roles in 9 technology career families (Architecture, Business Analysis, Engineering, Infrastructure Management, Operations, Project Management, QA & Testing, Security & Compliance, Service Management)
- Created generic role definitions and mapped SFIA skills and levels and organisational competencies to the roles
- Implemented processes and guidance to support career paths, recruitment and a 70:20:10 approach to learning and development.
- Created flexible, adaptable approach so that career paths are independent of operating model, organisation structure and role design thus enabling the organisation to flex and change over time without making role profiles and career paths out of date.
- Consistent skills & competency framework enabled a number of high quality people management processes such as career development, recruitment & resourcing.