Case Study: SFIA enabling IT workforce planning & capability development
The Technical Delivery team of a leading UK based mutual (£35bn assets).
Needed to work pro-actively and quickly to meet a number of complex IT workforce related challenges following significant growth via merger and acquisition activity.
- IT Workforce operating in a complex environment, undergoing significant organisational change and continual delivery pressures
- 150+ IT professionals covering software development, testing & technical solutions
- Need to develop pragmatic business focused solutions and adoption of IT industry standards in order to save time and money and guarantee quality.
- Use Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) to support IT workforce planning and re-skilling of the team to execute a new IT strategy including new operating model, and new IT architecture.
- Work collaboratively alongside the IT management team
- Identify and adopt industry standards and good practice from IT & Talent Management fields.
- I provided an introduction to the adoption of SFIA and provided expertise, insight and templates to enable rapid delivery of high quality deliverables.
- Facilitation of workshops with managers, team leaders focused on pragmatic adoption of SFIA while remaining focus on the business challenges.
- Ensure consistency across different role families / job types.
- Create comprehensive guidelines for the use of SFIA and run workshops for team members. Communication, education and engagement to explain how to use the SFIA framework, SFIA skills and levels and SFIA generic responsibilities (Autonomy, Influence, Complexity and Business Skills.
Results & Benefits
- Created SFIA skills profiles for IT Managers, Software Developers, Technical Leads, Systems Analysts and Solution Designers, Testers
- Facilitated the creation of roles based sourcing strategy to guide Talent Acquisition approach for the team.
- Consistent skills & competency framework enabled a number of high quality people management processes such as career development, recruitment & resourcing.