Case Study: SFIA & IT Skills assessment for Local Government
Large UK borough Council (local government).
IT organisation moving to new shared services operating model (technology, processes, organisation, roles). They needed to identify the implications for skills and knowledge required by IT staff.
- The leadership team had made a commitment to developing staff to meet the needs of the future organisation:
- Wanted to understand individual strengths and preferences and develop action plan for developing staff to meet the needs of the future organisation
- Very short timescales to design and implement skills assessment
- Within 2 weeks form start of the project – 80+ IT professional were assessed against a range of SFIA skills and Technical IT knowledge / certifications.
- A report was produced identifying Quick wins e.g.
- Identify and implement L&D activities to develop staff
- Review by senior management team – agree current future critical skills
- Improve personal development planning processes
- Agree consistent view of critical skills / knowledge
- Cost effective – 3 days consulting effort.
- Provide expert support, advice and templates to key internal managers
- Agree scope of skills / knowledge / certifications to be assessed
- Agree collection method
- Brief employees
- Support employees during skills assessment
- Collate data and prepare report
- Stakeholder engagement
- Pro-active tracking and follow up on responses
- Communications / support to explain actions and rationale
- No gold plating – clear focus on expected outcomes for the Client organisation